Blue crabs are clawing their way to City Crab’s tables. Coming soon, you can bring some friends and dive into a mound of blue crabs, corn on the cob and key lime pie. If that isn’t enough to sweeten the deal, we will also be offering $3 pints to wet your whistles.
Fear not, if you have never broken down a blue crab before it can be done in six simple steps.
1) Flip the crab onto its back and use a knife to break off the apron. This is a heart shaped looking tail of the crab.
2) Flip the crab back over so the top shell is facing you. Twist and pry off the top shell.
3) Clean out the gills – these are inedible. Don’t discard the yellowish or orange colored things, these are the roe and other tasty delicacies.
4) Here is where you can take on more liberties. You can either cut the entire crab in half and pick the meat out, or you can simply pick the meat out while keeping the crustacean whole.
5) Twist off the claws and using a cracker slightly break them. Use a knife or your fingers to extract the meat.
6) Eat more!
Now that you have the basics of crab cracking down, stay tuned for a video announcement of our summer Blue Crab series next week.